Sunday 14 May 2017

Commemorating Barbara: 'Who Can Change' - a Michael/Barbara MV



Today, this morning, 32 years ago, Barbara Yung left us.... I have written quite a lot about her passing; notably my analysis that she had a depression. I have also written a timeline of her and Michael Miu here.

Since the last few days, I've been watching Fearless Duo at night, one of the reasons was because it was a funny series... yet at the same time, it rings true the most to Michael's and Barbara's story. Because of that, I also use Fearless Duo's famous OST for this latest MV. Performed by the ever charming Alan Tam, 'Who Can Change' is without doubt the closest song I can think of that tells the story of Michael and Barbara... their friendship, and their (possibly restrained) affections. Granted, it's a sad MV... but it also gives me some bitter-sweet MB moments. I hope you like the MV despite its sad tone.

The Vimeo version is below the break. For this MV, I have also revised the translation of 'Who Can Change' provided by Wehaiyo, for I feel that translation is not prosaic enough for the MV (thanks a lot, though for the translation!). My version of the translation is also below the break.

So... yes, once again... we love you and we miss you, Barbara. This time though, people will be laying flowers on your grave next to your mother's...You're not alone now...

Take care, my dear girl... always shine like the brightest star up there...




'Who Can Change' (Michael Miu & Barbara Yung MV) from Icha74 on Vimeo.


'Who Can Change' (Michael Miu & Barbara Yung MV) by icha74


Lyrics with Yale romanisation

The traditional Chinese characters are from FeitsuiI adapted the translation from Wehaiyo's blog. Wehaiyo also has the detailed verbatim translation of each character. 

“誰可改變” (“Who Can Change?”) 
sung by  譚詠麟 Alan Tam
作曲/Composer: 顧嘉輝
編曲/Arranger: 顧嘉輝

填詞/Lyricist: 鄭國江

誰可改變 (seui ho goi bin)

曾经说出 今生不爱你
chang4 ging1 syut8 cheut7 gam1 sang1/saang1 bat7 oi3 nei5
I once said that, in this life, I would not love you

我共你是但有份没有缘
ngo5 gung6 nei5 si6 daan6 yau5 fan6 mut9 yau5 yun4
you and I are not fated together

情切是你 痴痴相恋
ching4 chit3 si6 nei5 chi1 chi1 seung13 lyun2
(yet now) my feelings for you are absolute

将心中爱念 为我捐
jeung1 sam1 jung1 oi3 nim6 wai46 ngo5 gyun1
you give your affection and yearning to me

如今我竟 竟将心意转
yu4 gam1 ngo5 ging2 ging2 jeung1 sam1 yi3 jyun2/jyun3
Unexpectedly, nowadays I return your affection

那份爱念没有尽没有完
na5 fan6 oi3 nim6 mut9 yau5 jeun6 mut9 yau5 yun4
This love, this yearning has no limit, has no end

轮到你不瞅不睬
leun4 dou3 nei5 bat7 chau2 bat7 choi2
yet, when it’s your turn, you don’t see, you don’t notice

心中的爱念尽化烟 
sam1 jung1 dik7 oi3 nim6 jeun6 fa3 yin1 
your love and yearning completely change into a puff of smoke

能否改变
nang4 fau2 goi2 bin3
is it possible to change?

REFF

还想再等 没法息爱念
waan4 seung2 joi3 dang2 mut9 faat8 sik7 oi3 nim6
I’d like to wait; I can’t stop loving and yearning for you

但偏偏你 回头也倦
daan6 pin1 pin1 nei5 wui4 tau4 ya5 gyun6
Yet, on the contrary, you turn away wearily

烦恼是我 流泪更无言
faan4 nou5 si6 ngo5 lau4 leui6 gang13 mou4 yin4
Distressed I am, shedding tears silently

情逝去不再留半点
ching4 sai6 heui3 bat7 joi3 lau4 bun3 dim2
My heart crumbles, I no longer retain the least bit



谁可以将 将光阴倒转
seui4 ho2 yi5 jeung1 jeung1 gwong1 yam1 dou2/dou3 jyun2/jyun3
Who is it that can reverse time?

再让往日 复现眼前
joi3 yeung6 wong5 yat9 fuk9 yin6 ngaan5 chin4
To once again let those days reappear before my eyes

能再共你 漫步田园
nang4 joi3 gung6 nei5 maan6 bou6 tin4 yun4
to be able to walk with you again, strolling through the meadows and gardens

心中的爱念为你牵 求可改变
sam1 jung1 dik7 oi3 nim6 wai46 nei5 hin1 kau4 ho2 goi2 bin3
my love and yearning for you will never change

instrumental

轮到你不瞅不睬
leun4 dou3 nei5 bat7 chau2 bat7 choi2
yet, when it’s your turn, you don’t see, you don’t notice

心中的爱念尽化烟 
sam1 jung1 dik7 oi3 nim6 jeun6 fa3 yin1 
your love and yearning completely change into a puff of smoke

能否改变
nang4 fau2 goi2 bin3
is it possible to change?

REFF

还想再等 没法息爱念
waan4 seung2 joi3 dang2 mut9 faat8 sik7 oi3 nim6
I’d like to wait; I can’t stop loving and yearning for you

但偏偏你 回头也倦
daan6 pin1 pin1 nei5 wui4 tau4 ya5 gyun6
Yet, on the contrary, you turn away wearily

烦恼是我 流泪更无言
faan4 nou5 si6 ngo5 lau4 leui6 gang13 mou4 yin4
Distressed I am, shedding tears silently

情逝去不再留半点
ching4 sai6 heui3 bat7 joi3 lau4 bun3 dim2
My heart crumbles, I no longer retain the least bit



谁可以将 将光阴倒转
seui4 ho2 yi5 jeung1 jeung1 gwong1 yam1 dou2/dou3 jyun2/jyun3
Who is it that can reverse time?

再让往日 复现眼前
joi3 yeung6 wong5 yat9 fuk9 yin6 ngaan5 chin4
To once again let those days reappear before my eyes

能再共你 漫步田园
nang4 joi3 gung6 nei5 maan6 bou6 tin4 yun4
to be able to walk with you again, strolling through the meadows and gardens

心中的爱念为你牵 
sam1 jung1 dik7 oi3 nim6 wai46 nei5 hin1 
my love and yearning for you

求可改变
kau4 ho2 goi2 bin3
will never change

4 comments:

mwlee said...

Hi there Icha (? - sorry, my memory is quite bad as my health issues have affected it these past few years)

As I mentioned in another recent comment on your site, I have just found your site and am going through your uploads etc on Barbara Yung & Michael Miu. Really grateful for all your hard work - this is a great clip to commemorate BY's special day. Well, I am about 2 years late but I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your hard work on this clip.

It's one of my favourite songs - I really3 love the twists and turns in this story (Fearless Duo). But I guess I love the story because it has a happy ending.

I can't bear sad endings. I try to avoid watching those. But in real life, I guess there's no avoiding that ... :(

As I watched some of the clips here, I can't help but remember the few times I saw Michael Miu in his really3 early roles. Just 1 short scene in ... The Shell Game? Hmm, and in another series, he was 1 of the "sort of main" characters in some story about Shaolin disciples.

But Barbara Yung kind of catapulted to fame - think she started with quite major roles.

But both MM and BY have so much charisma - loved watching them paired together.

So, thanks very much, Icha! Wishing you a great weekend! Take care too.

Icha said...

Dear Lee,

Thank you for your comments and I'm sorry that you were having some health issues, I hope they are resolved now!

I'm glad that you find the articles useful. I haven't got time for MB these days, but I'm glad that the blogspot still serves its purpose.

Yes, in two days, we will be commemorating Barbara's demise... I've been looking at it from a depression viewpoint now. My theory that Barbara suffered a depression has been getting some tractions, so during the commemoration, I would usually remind us of how important mental health is. Had she had help those days, she might still be around...

anyway, take care and have a nice weekend,
Icha

mwlee said...

Hello again, Icha

Thanks very much for your concern :)

My health issues include some not-so-common ones (e.g. oxalates, histamine & salicylate intolerances - heheh, I may sound like a hypochondriac). But my health is more stable these days.

You have a valid point about BY possibly dealing with depression. I know of someone at my old university who committed suicide. Those who were closest to her said they thought she may have been dealing with depression. One actually got some information to deal with depression for her. Sadly, before she could pass the information to her, she had committed suicide.

And I think sometimes when a person is really not well, she may not realise she's sick or depressed and needs help (medical or professional). Such people don't realise they can be helped and they NEED HELP. Tragically, they can see no way out except through death.

YES! Good to remind others on BY's anniversary ... Thanks very much, Icha, for what you are doing to help people who may need advice for dealing with their problems, health etc (including possibly serious health issues).

I too really3 wish she could be with us still. She has a special place, in my opinion.

Wish you joy & success in your current & future endeavours, Icha. No worries about not being free to do anything new on MB, I see you have lots on them already. I can read through slowly ... Just very happy and grateful for what you already have - it's plenty :)

Warmest wishes & grateful thanks!

Jane C said...

What happened to www.barbarayung.nl website?
It says "www.barbarayung.nl is not available anymore, Rob"

Why does ROB take it down? He worked on it for so long and everyone can still enjoy and go there periodically to read it?

I am taken by surprise

Sept 2019